The rise of artificial intelligence (AI) has sparked both enthusiasm and skepticism among consumers. On one hand, AI has captured the imagination of individuals worldwide and allowed for increased convenience, efficiency, and innovation. On the other, the ease of accessing and creating content brings up concerns around manipulating and creating potentially deceptive information.
CapTech recently conducted a national survey of US consumers and found that while most Americans view AI positively (53%), there is still a large population that is still skeptical. And a national survey conducted by Salesforce in 2022 revealed that amidst uncertainty, trust is a valued commodity, with 88% of customers believing that trust becomes more important in times of change.
Companies should feel empowered to embrace AI-powered technologies to provide next-level products and services, however, in doing so, it is essential to recognize and address both the excitement and concerns about emerging technology to ensure that consumer loyalty and trust are not damaged.
Companies must prioritize design best practices that promote transparency and empower users with greater control over AI-powered technology. We’ve identified the following design best practices that, while not unique to AI-driven experiences, require extra consideration when implementing AI-powered technologies.
- User-Driven Approach: Avoid integrating technology solely for novelty's sake. Prioritize understanding your users and clearly defining the problem at hand. This approach ensures that the technology seamlessly fits into the overall user experience in a way that delivers meaningful solutions.
- Clear Terms of Service: Offer clear user policies and terms of service, so that users feel empowered to choose whether they want to engage with the technology or not. Avoid complex legal jargon and provide easy-to-understand explanations of user rights and responsibilities.
- Accessibility and Inclusivity: Ensure every experience is accessible to a wide range of users, including those with disabilities. Design interfaces that accommodate various disabilities, considering factors like device compatibility, readability, and navigability for people with different abilities.
- Customization and Personalization: Empower users to personalize their experience based on their preferences to provide tailored recommendations and content. This could include implementing advanced recommendation systems that learn from users' behaviors and preferences, offering relevant content, products, or services aligned with their interests.
- Transparent Communication: Provide explicit instructions and explanations to guide users through new experiences. Use interactive tutorials or guided tours to onboard users, helping them navigate and interact with the new technology seamlessly.
- Consent and Privacy: Be transparent about data collection and usage practices. Obtain explicit consent and prioritize user privacy and compliance with relevant data protection regulations.
- Error Handling: Anticipate potential errors that users may encounter when interacting with the technology and provide error messages with clear guidance on how to recover.
- Performance Monitoring: Implement robust quality assurance (QA) testing, even after the launch, to continuously monitor and improve the experience. Regularly audit algorithms and analytics to maintain a user-friendly, safe, and accurate product.
- User Feedback: Finally, ensure there are various channels for users to share their thoughts and provide feedback, such as email support, chat, social media, or user forums. Valuing and addressing their concerns will foster a strong relationship and is crucial for continued improvement.
Design best practices are essential for creating successful experiences, and they become even more vital when integrating AI technology. Prioritizing user-centered design principles helps companies navigate the complexities and uncertainties of new technologies while continuing to foster trust and engagement among users. Harnessing these best practices, companies have the potential to innovate and deliver impactful solutions that cater to users' ever-evolving needs in today's rapidly changing digital landscape.