At CapTech, we believe the 12 Agile Principles from the Agile Manifesto are building blocks for a successful, sustainable Agile journey. Many pitfalls that organizations experience are due to oversight and lack of adherence to the Agile Principles. In this CapTech blog series, we will review the 12 Agile Principles, common issues that lead organizations astray, and solutions to get back on course throughout any Agile journey.
Agile Principle #10: Simplicity-the art of maximizing the amount of work not done-is essential.
Common Issues that Lead Organizations Astray
- There isn't a true understanding of the problem so all possible solutions have been considered and mapped out.
- Funding supports projects that have pre-set plans of requirements, losing sight of desired outcomes and Customer success.
- Over time, processes have become complicated in an attempt to solve for breakdowns, problems, etc. Additional overhead has been added to support complex processes and systems.
- Designs account for all possible scenarios and have become complex and intricate.
- The Customer has not been consulted and has not been included in decision making.
Solutions that Lead Organizations Back on Course
- Name the problem. Scale back to the minimal solution needed to solve the problem. Only enhance the solution when the Customer requires it. Follow the Lean Startup ideas of Measure, Build, Learn.
- Shift from project-based funding models to capacity-based funding models that support minimal viable solutions and avoid set plans that will inevitably change.
- Eliminate the waste and find the paths of least resistance. Consider "lean thinking" and simplify workflows and avoid unnecessary steps in processes.
- In accordance with Agile Principles #1 and #3, it's critical to focus on the minimal viable solution to deliver frequently and incrementally to the Customer. Focus on delighting the Customer with the least amount of time and cost.
- Watch. Listen. Stay close. Engage the Customer frequently (before, during, and after release) to ensure solutions delight the customer. Not every idea or solution is what they need.
Click here to download CapTech's 12 Principles of Agile Poster
Blog Series: Did you Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey?
- Part 1: Deliver Value
- Part 2: Changing Requirements
- Part 3: Deliver Frequently
- Part 4: Work Together
- Part 5: Motivated Individuals
- Part 6: Face-to-Face Conversation
- Part 7: Working Solutions
- Part 8: Sustainability
- Part 9: Technical Excellence
- Part 10: Simplicity
- Part 11: Self-Organizing Teams
- Part 12: Reflect