BlogJune 13, 2017
Blog Series: Did You Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey? Pt. 6: Face-to-Face Conversation
At CapTech, we believe the 12 Agile Principles from the Agile Manifesto are building blocks for a successful, sustainable Agile journey. Many pitfalls that organizations experience are due to oversight and lack of adherence to the Agile Principles. In this CapTech blog series, we will review the 12 Agile Principles, common issues that lead organizations astray and solutions to get back on course throughout any Agile journey.
Common Issues that Lead Organizations Astray
- A lack of co-location (either within an office or across the globe) makes it difficult to have face-to-face conversations.
- Office space is not conducive to collaboration creating physical silos.
- Information is currently conveyed through some form of online collaboration technology/tool - conference calls, IM's, the dreaded email chains.
- Face-to-face conversations have been attempted but have led to meeting overload.
- The culture prevents or discourages crucial conversations from taking place.
Solutions that Lead Organizations Back on Course
- When possible, co-locate all individuals involved with the work. For teams that cross time zones, create overlap in schedules and availability to allow for virtual face-to-face conversations.
- Tear down the barriers! Move desks, tables, walls, etc. into a collaborative formation that brings everyone together in one easily accessible place.
- Tools are good, but face-to-face conversations are great. Only use online collaboration technology/tools as needed, and when you do, establish the best possible virtual presence. Turn those cameras on!
- Don't talk to tell, talk to listen. Remember to keep face-to-face conversations relevant and within a timebox to ensure high efficiency and effectiveness when people come together.
- Don't shy away from crucial conversations. Create a safe space to encourage teams and individuals to engage in face-to-face conversations even when the subject matter is difficult.
Click here to download CapTech's 12 Principles of Agile Poster
Blog Series: Did you Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey?
- Part 1: Deliver Value
- Part 2: Changing Requirements
- Part 3: Deliver Frequently
- Part 4: Work Together
- Part 5: Motivated Individuals
- Part 6: Face-to-Face Conversation
- Part 7: Working Solutions