BlogMay 24, 2017
Blog Series: Did You Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey? Pt. 3: Deliver Frequently
At CapTech, we believe the 12 Agile Principles from the Agile Manifesto are building blocks for a successful, sustainable Agile journey. Many pitfalls that organizations experience are due to oversight and lack of adherence to the Agile Principles. In this CapTech blog series, we will review the 12 Agile Principles, common issues that lead organizations astray, and solutions to get back on course throughout any Agile journey.Agile Principle #3: Deliver working software frequently, from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a preference to the shorter timescale.
Common Issues that Lead Organizations Astray
- Requirements have been defined in accordance with monthly, quarterly, and/or annual timelines making it difficult to deliver anything frequently.
- Sprint/Iteration timeboxes exceed 3+ weeks.
- The current architecture and system cannot handle frequent releases.
- User Stories are too big and take more than a couple of weeks to complete.
- There are dependencies outside the team boundary that prevent the delivery of working software.
Solutions that Lead Organizations Back on Course
- Move toward "vertical slice" User Stories that can be completed and delivered end-to-end and independent of other User Stories.
- Shorten Sprints/Iterations to 1-2 week timeboxes to limit focus, make smaller commitments, and deliver completed work quicker.
- Write smaller User Stories that can be completed within a day or no longer than 2 weeks.
- Look for incremental opportunities to improve the architecture and system to support more frequent releases.
- As much as possible, eliminate dependencies outside the team boundary that cause delays.
Click here to download CapTech's 12 Principles of Agile Poster
Blog Series: Did you Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey?
- Part 1: Deliver Value
- Part 2: Changing Requirements
- Part 3: Deliver Frequently
- Part 4: Work Together
- Part 5: Motivated Individuals