BlogJuly 3, 2017
Blog Series: Did You Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey? Pt. 11: Self-Organizing Teams
At CapTech, we believe the 12 Agile Principles from the Agile Manifesto are building blocks for a successful, sustainable Agile journey. Many pitfalls that organizations experience are due to oversight and lack of adherence to the Agile Principles. In this CapTech blog series, we will review the 12 Agile Principles, common issues that lead organizations astray, and solutions to get back on course throughout any Agile journey.
Agile Principle #11: The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams.
Common Issues that Lead Organizations Astray
- Teams are not included in architecture, requirements, and/or design conversations.
- Teams have been predetermined based on organization charts and department lines.
- Decision making is centralized amongst authoritative directives or other governing bodies.
- Managers have been put in place to direct teams and force a combination of deadlines and scope on the teams.
- Projects have in-depth requirements and timelines pre-defined. Additional input is not needed.
Solutions that Lead Organizations Back on Course
- Teams will have valuable insight into solutions they have, or currently are, creating. Include them early and often in conversations.
- Focus on up-playing the strengths of team members and ensure each team collectively has the skillsets needed to accomplish the work. Value Delivered > Organizational Structure.
- De-centralize decision making by empowering teams to make all necessary decisions quickly and iteratively to avoid delays in delighting the Customer.
- Give the power to the people! Hold teams accountable to what they say they can and cannot do and then empower them to be successful. Lead instead of direct.
- In adherence with Agile Principles 1, 2, 3, and 10, it's important to move away from pre-defined project plans. Iterating on the work requires frequent participation from teams and inevitably will result in better solutions.
Click here to download CapTech's 12 Principles of Agile Poster
Blog Series: Did you Pack the 12 Agile Principles on Your Agile Journey?
- Part 1: Deliver Value
- Part 2: Changing Requirements
- Part 3: Deliver Frequently
- Part 4: Work Together
- Part 5: Motivated Individuals
- Part 6: Face-to-Face Conversation
- Part 7: Working Solutions
- Part 8: Sustainability
- Part 9: Technical Excellence
- Part 10: Simplicity
- Part 11: Self-Organizing Teams
- Part 12: Reflect